What are the features, benefits and costs
of uPVC Casement Windows?
UPVC casement windows have become popular throughout the UK because they offer unparalleled performance compared to windows based on aluminium or wood materials.
For instance, UPVC windows are resistant to corrosion whilst the opposite is true for aluminium. Compared to wood, they are not affected by excess shrinking or expansion so they don’t swell up and jam or shrink and fit badly.
With this in mind, read on to learn more about the features, benefits and costs of uPVC Casement Windows.
UPVC Casement Windows overview.
For starters, the term UPVC stands for “unplasticised poly vinyl chloride”, which is a versatile polymer well suited for construction of window frames. Generally, polyvinyl chloride constitutes 80-85% of UPVC while the remaining 20-15% is made up of impact modifiers, processing aids, pigments, plasticizers, stabilizers, and fillers.
The frames are cut to size from long multi-chambered profiles and then either joined together by internal metal corner joiners, welded or both. The idea behind the use of chambers (a kid of honeycomb effect) is fourfold.
- To make the profile lighter.
- To give it more structural integrity.
- To conceal steel reinforcing.
- To aid energy efficiency.
UPVC itself is very “non-reactive”, which means it is resistant to fading from exposure to UV rays and things like “acid rain” – keeping the appearance better, longer.
Typically, a casement window will open outwards. Side opening is the norm, but you will very often see a larger casement window set featuring a top opening smaller section. Bottom opening casement windows are called hoppers and top opening are called awning.